Friday, September 4, 2009

not so green smoothie




I love green smoothies. There is nothing like drinking your veggies. They are usually my first food of the day. I found them fairly early on in this voyage and found it hard to believe that a bunch of raw fruits and veggies pureed would calm a tender tummy but they do unlike anything else. We won't even talk about the massive amounts of fruits and veggies you get in one single smoothie. By my accounts, you get a full days 8 servings of plant matter in a single smoothie.



I always start with a base of avocado and spinach. I usually use half an avocado and a couple of handfulls of spinach. The rest I just play around with.



I had some frozen blueberries in my freezer. I have been reading about the wonderful antioxidant powers of blueberries. Keeping them frozen, makes the smoothie deliciously cold.




I am very fortunate to live in a place in canada were the climate is warm enough for peaches to grow. They are in season and pretty irresistible right now. Today I threw in a whole pitted peach along with a splash of orange juice to make things flow. I wiz it through the blender and, viola, a not so green smoothie. Thank you blueberries!

1 comment:

Kristen's Raw said...

I love green juices and green smoothies! They're awesome! Sometimes I make a huge batch of them and store them in glass mason jars to give me smoothies for a couple of days, and then when the craving for some avocado comes, I just open up a jar of the green smoothie, dump it in the blender, and blend in some avocado. YUM!

Cheers,
Kristen