Monday, September 14, 2009

It was the boys birthday...



It was the boys birthday last week. I was SUPER busy. I didn't have huge amounts of time to make a cake so I wanted something easy that I could throw together. I used two flan pans, thew the icing in the middle and made a giant cookie.

I've updated my flour recipe and I'm really liking it. DH swears that he can taste the corn flour in the other mix so I swapped out sorghum for the corn flour.

1 cup of corn starch
1/2 cup of brown rice flour
1/2 cup of white rice flour
1 cup of potato starch
1/2 cup of sorghum flour
1/2 cup of tapioca starch
4 tsp xantham gum
and I used my standard cake recipe I've been using for years:
1 1/2 cups of the above flour
1/2 cup of GF oat flour (you can grind your own)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of butter
1 3/4 cups of sugar
2 tsp of vanilla
1 1/3 cups of milk

Preheat oven to 350. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda salt, set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium high speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add vanilla and eggs one at a time. Add flour and milk. Mix until smooth. For flan pan bake for 20 min or until tooth pick comes out clean.

For the butter cream icing:
1 1/2 cups of salted butter, softened
2/3 cup Crisco shortening
5-7 tbs heavy cream 2 tsp clear vanilla
2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
1-3 tbs corn syrup
Mix the butter, crisco cream, corn syrup on low speed until smooth. Slowly add powdered sugar until mixed through.




No comments: